H. P. C. to Present "The Lotos Eater"

For its annual play the Hasty Pudding Club will present this year a musical comedy entitled "The Lotos Eater." The book and lyrics are by D. W. Streeter '07, and the music is by E. Ballantine '07. Additional verses to the songs will be written by other members of the club.

The scene of the play is laid in Madrid, Spain. The characters, with one or two exceptions, are American summer tourists, who happen to meet in Madrid. The principal of the comedy is Percy Winterbottom, a Harvard undergraduate. The music, which is entirely original, has been composed in imitation of Spanish music. There will be several characteristic Spanish dances, and the whole score is calculated to give much of the necessary local color to the comedy.

The play has not been planned because of the tradition that the Club should present a play each year, but on account of the spontaneous wish of members of the Club. The Hasty Pudding play has become so much an institution that it has sometimes been given rather under the pressure of necessity than in response to any enthusiasm for it among the undergraduate members. In the future it is expected that should the materials for either play or cast be not forthcoming, no play will be produced.

The whole play, both acting and singing, will be coached by S. Baird '03. The stage manager is S. Ervin '08. The dates of the performances have not yet been decided upon, but will probably be in the latter part of March. About the same number of Boston and Cambridge performances will be given as last year.

In addition to the regular cast there will be a chorus of 30 members. The provisional cast is as follows:

Percy Winterbottom, Harvard '09,  C. L. Hay '08Obadiah Butterworth, of Chicopee Falls,  H. E. Widener '07Mrs. Butterworth, a masterful woman,  C. G. Osborne '07Amelia Butterworth, her charming niece,  D. W. Streeter '07Don Juan de Pistachio de Gorgonzola, socialist, anarchist, and revolutionist,  H. W. Nichols '07 B. Moore '08Professor Bulgingbrow Winterbottom, emeritus professor of Philosophy,  F. M. Gunther '07Ethel Winterbottom,  W. P. Blodgett '07Lacklustre, a philosophical waiter,  J. J. Rowe '07King Alfonso of Spain,  S. P. Henshaw '07Chamberlain to the King,  J. V. Woodard '07A Spanish woman,  W. D. Robbins '0