DISMANTLED LIBRARIES

Again and again our attention is called to the regrettable fact that each of the many libraries thrown open to us is slowly being depleted through the agency of either the thief or the thoughtless. Last spring in a period of sixty days more than forty-five volumes were taken from the Union Library!

If any man has in his possession a Union book which he thoughtlessly removed from the Library, it is his obvious duty to return it at once; and if any man has in his possession a book which he intentionally carried away, the duty of insuring its return rests not only upon him but upon any one else who discovers its whereabouts.

Gifts of books to replace the missing volumes will of course be heartily welcomed; but more enduring in value would be a vigorous campaign, on the part of those interested in the Library, to put an end to the unexplained disappearance of books. The enjoyment of the Union Library is remarkably unrestricted, and for the benefit of those who appreciate its freedom it would seem best for the Union to ferret out and punish the offenders.