Fall Chess Matches Begin Today

The annual fall chess tournament to pick a team of ten men to play against Yale on November 22 will begin today. The 40 men who have entered for the tournament will be divided into sections, in each of which a round robin tournament will be played, the best two men in each section being retained for the semi-finals. The ten men making the highest scores in the semi-finals will constitute the team that will play Yale in the Union on the night before the Yale football game.

After the match with Yale four men will be chosen to represent the University in the annual intercollegiate tournament in January. The team defeated Yale last year by a score of 7 to 3, and won second in the intercollegiate match.

Six of the ten men who played against Yale last year are back in College and the prospects of a good team are favorable. The six men, eligible to play this year, are: M. V. Hitt '09, captain; C. T. Broderick '08, J. Clark 2L., M. A. Driscoll 2L., E. H. Gruening 1M., and K. S. Johnson '07.

Harvard has entered the New England Chess Association tournament, in which five men will play matches each week with the clubs around Boston. A silver shield will be awarded to the team winning the series, and silver medals to the individual players of the winning team.