1911 Football Practice

The preliminary practice of the Freshman football squad yesterday consisted of kicking and catching punts for the backs, and breaking through for the line-men. Some of the men were instructed by Coach MacCarthy in falling on the ball. Signal practice for the first two teams lasted about half an hour. In the 20-minute line-up which followed, the first team scored three times. The first team kicked off, the ball going behind the goal-line. The second kicked out to the middle of the field, and from that point the first scored in three rushes, Pope making the touchdown. McKay kicked the goal. After a few minutes more of play the first team scored again. The second team made three fumbles, missed a forward pass, and lost the ball on downs. The first had no trouble in gaining against the light second team, and Pope made the second touchdown. After some very ragged playing, the first team lost the ball on a forward pass, but recovered it again on a blocked kick, and pushed it over the line. The teams lined up as follows: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Crowley, r.e.  l.e., Harvey McKay, Oveson, r.t.  l.t., Parks Barber, Dunlap, r.g.  l.g., Hooper Smith, c.  c., Bush Blagden, O'Hare, l.g.  r.g., Wilder Jowith, l.t.  r.t., Hobart Sohier, l.e.,  r.e., King Johnson, Davis, q.b.  q.b., Voschel Pope, Peabody, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Seamans Sprague, l.h.b.  r.h.b., McKittrick Leslie, f.b.  f.b., Page