UNAPPRECIATED OPPORTUNITIES.

One of the regrets which Seniors express on leaving College is at their neglect of their opportunities for seeing places and institutions which others come far to visit. By this we do not refer merely to places of historical or literary interest in the neighborhood of Boston. There are many such excursions which would occupy a free afternoon or holiday and which would be well worth the time devoted to them. But there are in our very midst places whose existence is scarcely known except to specialization or advanced students. We refer to the museums.

Those who travel widely seldom remain any length of time in a large city without visiting its principal monuments and collections. But men who live for four years in Cambridge often are much less familiar with the valuable accumulations of our museums than the stranger who spends a day in "seeing" Harvard. We do not advise devoting an entire day to a cursory glance over everything. Undergraduates are fortunate in having more time for the purpose than strangers, and it is for that very reason that the opportunity is almost entirely neglected. In order to gain the most from one's College course the habit of exploring the vast resources of the University should be formed early. Otherwise, as experience shows, our important collections will still occupy a position similar to that of the North Pole, and the undergraduates will correspond to the Esquimaux who live nearest to it but have no desire to find it.