THE NEED OF A GYMNASIUM.

The Hemenway Gymnasium, the successor of what is now the Germanic Museum, was built 29 years ago, and in 1905 a slight addition was made to it. Although Harvard is the best-known university in the United States, when our Gymnasium is compared with those of other colleges in this country, it is at once evident that the building is less complete and efficient than many gymnasiums at smaller institutions, notably at Yale and Princeton.

In 1878 the Hemenway Gymnasium was up to date, but at present it is inadequate in size and ventilation. Especially during the winter the poor air is noticeable. Probably many men who work at their desks most of the day would be more benefited by a half-hour's walk in the open than by an hour in the Gymnasium, where frequently a team monopolizes most of the floor space. The showers and lockers are absurdly antique, but one of the most crying needs in the way of equipment is a swimming pool. A new gymnasium embodying the three improvements just suggested and containing the usual paraphernalia together with increased floor space and a suitable trophy room is one of the greatest needs of the 3742 men here at Harvard.