GRADUATE FOOTBALL.

We wish to call attention to the communication printed in another column this morning which advocates the organization of a graduate football team. Without attempting to pass upon the practicability of getting eleven strong graduate players to leave their business or profession during the same week, we believe that the scheme would have many advantages. Many graduates are glad to give up a day now and then to help in coaching the eleven but in many cases this variety of coaches, each with different ideas as to how his position should be played, have done their pupils more harm than good. If, however, these players should unite to form a superior sort of "second" eleven they would be of much more real assistance in the University team. A hard game some little time before the end of the season is a great help in showing where the weak points are, and to be beaten by a team of Harvard graduates would not rankle in the same way as a defeat at the hands of our strong rivals.

Another point in favor of such a scheme would be the opportunity offered to old football players in the professional schools, who are ineligible for the University team, and who indeed should not be expected to spare the time necessary to play through the season. By joining a graduate squad for a few days of practice they would have a welcome change from their work without sacrificing more time than they could well afford. The social side of football has often been a minor consideration, and any move which tends to bring this side to the fore, and at the same time help develop the undergraduate team, does not deserve to be dismissed on grounds of impracticability without careful consideration.