LESS SECRET PRACTICE.

Of the minor changes which Mr. Crane has made in the coaching system this year few will be more generally appreciated than the postponement of secret practice until a short time before the Yale game. We realize that there are plenty of opportunities for the right kind of strategy in football, but that the major part of the season should be devoted to work under cover seems neither necessary nor advisable.

Open practice should prepare the players to overcome the nervousness which often proves fatal in big games, and the keen criticism of undergraduate spectators will make more bearable the less sympathetic attitude of a crowd. From the standpoint of undergraduates, more-over, the passing of superfluous secret practice will be a cause for much satisfaction. Many men who can spare the time are glad to show their interest in the team by making frequent trips to Soldiers Field, and, if this habit is formed early in the season, the excitement which always accompanies a Yale game, although no less intense, will come about more gradually.

We are glad to learn that scrub football is to be revived, at least within the Freshman squad. This form of exercise died out through lack of interest, but as the new rules are becoming better known, the lead of the Freshman class may in time be followed by the organization of a more general series--one which will prepare the way for a better quality of class football.