BISHOP OF LONDON SPEAKS

In Sanders Tonight at 8.--Subject: "Some Problems of Great Cities."

The Rt. Rev. Arthur Foloy Winnington Ingram, Bishop of London, will speak in Sanders Theatre this evening at 8 o'clock on "Some Problems of Great Cities." All seats on the floor and first balcony will be reserved for officers and students of the University and their families until 7.55 o'clock, when the doors, will be thrown open to the public.

Bishop Ingram will arrive in Cambridge this morning at 7 o'clock and will be the guest of Rev. Edward Abbott, rector of St. James Episcopal Church, at 11 Dana street. During the morning he will be taken about Cambridge in an automobile and shown the various points of literary and historic interest, and later entertained at lunch by President Eliot. At 5.30 o'clock he will speak in the chapel of the Episcopal Theological School on Battle street and at 8 o'clock will deliver his address in Sanders Theatre. Tomorrow morning he will return to New York to fill other engagements.

The object of Bishop Ingram's visit to this country is to attend the tercentenary of the establishment of the Church of England in America, which is now being celebrated in Richmond, V,. During his short stay in the south he has completely won the hearts of the people by his simple, unaffected manner and by his vigorous Christian words. On Sunday afternoon, when he gave his farewell address at a great open air mass meeting, fully five thousand people crowded the steps of the Capital at Richmond to hear him speak. Bishop Lawrence '71, as chairman of the house of bishops presided, and led the meeting in devotions. Prominent among those present were Robert Treat Paine '55 and Mr. C. G. Sanders '67.

Bishop Ingram was born in Worcestershire, England, in 1858, and was educated at Marlborough College and at Keble College, Oxford, being graduated from the latter in 1881. He became curate at St. Mary's, Shrewsbury in 1884, and subsequently private chaplain to the Bishop of Lichfiels, head of Oxford House, Benthal Green, rector of Benthal Green, rural dean of Spitalfields, cannot of St. Paul's Cathedral, Bishop of Stepney, and in 1901 Bishop of London. It is as Bishop of Stepney, in the east part of London, that the bishop is best known to the London poor. He had been known primarily as a rough and ready member of the Church, ever willing to mingle with the poorest of the slums, without family influence at court, and accustomed to meet all comers in religious controversy in the great meetings in Victoria Park. But suddenly, in 1901, he was raised to a position second in importance only to the archbishoprics of Canterbury and York. His notification came while he was on his way to a big workingmen's meeting in the East, End, and he was more disappointed at the prospect of living in stately Fulham Palace than elated over his appointment. Since he became Bishop of London he has gained the love and respect of all London, the greatest

ecclesiastical diocese of the Anglican Church in the world with its 600 parishes and 1500 clergy. His present station gives him even in secular rank precedence over a baron, entities him to a seat in the House of Lords, and makes him spiritual adviser of the royal family.

Bishop Ingram's greatest work has been among the poor of London. While cannot of St. Paul's he preached his famous series of sermons of "Men who Crucify Christ," in which he mercilessly arranged the large property owners living in the best quarters of London who were growing rich from the exorbitant rents of their tenements in the slums. When he became Bishop of London he used his greater influence constantly in the interests of the poor, realizing that the segregation of the rich is one of the greatest evils of society. While he was at Oxford, where he left a record for clean Christian, living, he desired to be in the thick of the fight, and four years after graduation, in a district given over to crime and brutality, he had founded clubs that did away entirely with street ruffianism, his personality alone being sufficient to hold the younger men together