PRESENTATION OF TABLETS

Memorials to Henry Ware and Theodore Parker in Divinity School.

A presentation of tablets to the Divinity School in memory of two distinguished graduates, Henry Ware '12, and Theodore Parker t.'36, will take place in the Divinity School Chapel this evening at 8 o'clock. Dean Fenn of the Divinity School will preside, and addresses will be made by Rev. E. H. Hall, D.D., former pastor of the First Church, Cambridge, who will speak on Henry Ware, and by Rev. S. M. Crothers, D.D., present pastor of the First Church, who will speak upon Theodore Parker.

The two tablets were put in place on the walls of the Chapel during the past summer. The bronze tablet to Henry Ware, presented by his descendants, has been placed in the north wall at the left of the pulpit. It bears a bas-relief of Henry Ware on the upper half and the dates "1794-1843." Below is the inscription: "Henry Ware Junior. Parkman Professor of Pulpit Eloquence and the Pastoral Care, 1829-1842."

The Parker tablet, a gift of the late Rev. John Haynes through J. H. Holmes '02, is on the east wall of the chapel. It is of plain white marble, and bears the following inscription: "Theodore Parker, 1810-1860. Graduate of this school in 1836. Preacher, reformer, scholar; master of wide learning applied to human uses by frank and unsparing speech; fearless follower of Jesus, bearing witness to the truth; lover of righteousness, hater of iniquity; a hero in fight, a saint in prayer; he proclaimed as human invitations the perfection of God, the authority of conscience, the assurance of immortality. 'Sin to rebuke, to break the captive's chains; to call thy brethren forth from want and woe'."

Henry Ware received his A.B. degree from Harvard in 1812, and his A.M. three years later. In 1834 he was given the honorary degree of D.D. In 1829 he was appointed professor of pulpit eloquence and the pastoral care, and this he held until 1840, when he received the newly created Parkman professorship of theology. From 1820 to 1830 he was an Overseer of the College.

Theodore Parker never received an A.B. from Harvard though he did most of the work required for that degree. He received the Divinity School degree in 1836, and in 1840 was given an honorary A.M. During the year 1835-6 he was instructor in Greek in the University. In the years prior to the Civil War he was a leader in the Abolition movement and gained a wide reputation as a lecturer and writer.