A DISTURBING ELEMENT.

On rare occasions there may be some excuse for many demonstrations in class rooms, but of late such occasions seem to be the rule rather than exceptions. In spite of constant appeals from the professors and instructors, there will remain some ill-mannered persons who greet every unusual incident or remark with stamping and shuffling. When a lecturer tries to enliven the dry subject matter of a course by the introduction of interesting anecdotes or personal experiences, he is greeted with an uproar from those whose over-developed sense of humor blinds their sense of decency. The lecturer, very naturally fails to appreciate these outbursts, and as a result may remove from his remarks anything calculated to produce them. This makes the daily routine much dryer and the majority are as usual made to suffer for the childish amusement of the offenders.

If no appeal to the fairness or good manners of the disturbers will restrain their exhilarated spirits, we suggest that they retire to the seclusion of their rooms, and, calling to mind all the humorous incidents of the previous hour, shout, and stamp to their hearts' content.