PROPER USE OF EASY COURSES.

During the early part of the College year one of the over-worked questions is "What courses are you taking?" If in reply to this query an undergraduate mentions some course which enjoys the reputation of good marks with a minimum of study, a laugh goes around at his expense.

No one will seriously defend the practice of choosing courses with a view to securing a degree along the lines of least resistance. However lightly men refer to the subject in conversation, a careful examination of most schedules will bring out the fact that the great majority select their studies with some higher motive than that of securing a passing grade. But it is equally true that there is a legitimate use for the so-called "snap" courses. When properly intermingled with solid subjects they afford a relaxation, and at the same time have a certain intrinsic value. If a business man attends a course of weekly lectures upon some subject in which he feels a real interest, he will often gain the information he desires without outside work of any sort. How much more helpful are two or three lectures a week by some well qualified instructor, combined with even a slight amount of individual preparation.

Let us not form our judgment of an undergraduate's attitude from the fact that he takes some one easy course. A fair critic will reserve his decision until he has looked into the rest, of the man's schedule and also into the reasons which may have induced him to choose the questionable course.