BEGGING ENCOURAGED.

It may seem radical to advocate putting an end to the time-honored custom of throwing pennies for "Scrambling," and satisfying the appeals of numerous diminutive beggars. This custom, however, petty it may be, has many disadvantages and nothing in its favor. looking at it from a selfish point of view, it promotes a wholesale attack upon the small change of members of the University, until it has become Easter, in spite of convictions, to secure peace by yielding.

More harmful than the inconvenience which all must suffer form the so-called good-nation of the susceptible, is the lasting effect upon the characters of the youthful mendicants. We have no right to expect that a class of children of the grammar school age--or even younger--who are educated to believe in their right to extort money from "the students" by cringing or bullying, will outgrow the harm which such a practice has done them. Let us harden our hearts and endure the imprecations, of disappointed petitioners rather than encourage a noxious custom for the sake of temporary release from persecution, or a few minutes of mild enjoyment.