MEMORIALS IN UNION

We take pleasure in printing the communication from Professor Hollis which assures us that the Union is not fundamentally opposed to receiving any form of memorial which may be offered in order to recall to future undergraduates the memory of a man who endeared himself to many classes of Harvard men. We still continue to use the name "Union," because in the minds of undergraduates there is no very clear ideas to who exercises final control in all matters connected with it. The undergraduates annually shift the responsibility of their opinions onto the Governing Board, so that their opinion need not be considered separately from what of this body.

We understand that last year both the Governing Board and the trustees were opposed to the installation of a bas-relief of Dean Shaler in the Living Room. Their desire to preserve the character of the Living Room will appeal to all who are interested in its welfare. But this discouragement, by vote or by expressions of opinion, should not turn us aside from the main issue--that a memorial to Dean Shaler should be erected, and that the most fitting location for it is in the Union.

We desire to see the most harmonious co-operation between the Union authorities and those who favor a memorial, and if no unfavorable vote has yet been passed, it devolves upon the advocated of a memorial to present their views directly to those in authority. It is only by a compete understanding that any final decision will be reached. Although there is no ground for the belief that the project will die out immediately, we see no reason why a committee should consume several months in deciding on its policy. There should be a prompt and definite offer to inaugurate this plan. If any objections are offered to it, it will then be time to consider upon what grounds these objections lie.