COSMOPOLITAN CLUB PROJECT

Prominent Men in University Interested In Club for Foreigners.

Plans have been nearly completed for a Cosmopolitan Club to be formed of foreign students in the University. The general plan of the club was suggested by Mr. H. W. Foote '97 in a letter to the Harvard Bulletin in which he describes the club at the University of Michigan which he was instrumental in forming.

The club at Michigan maintains a club house, meets and takes care of all foreign students coming to Ann Arbor, and indirectly strengthens the University's reputation in foreign lands. To the club are elected the pick of the foreign students, and a number of Americans, not exceeding one-sixth of the membership of the club, who must have lived abroad for two years and must be able to speak two languages fluently. Each nationality has its representative who acts as an informal consul in matters affecting the students from his own country. The club is proving a boon to the foreigners at Michigan, who find in it an organization upon which they can rely for help. And to the "clubable" spirits among them, very seldom admitted to other clubs or fraternities, it offers a pleasant and helpful social centre. A similar club at Cornell has been very successful and occupies an excellent position in the social life of the college.

Mr. J. D. Greene '96, Secretary to the Corporation, Mr. E. H. Wells '97, Secretary of the Alumni Association, Professor R. B. Dixon '97; and Mr. J. L. Coolidge '95 are making arrangements for the club, which will be formed in the University on the general lines laid down by Mr. Foote in his letter. It is planned to start on a small but solid basis, and then to allow natural development.