French Pres. Honors Harvard Men

The President of the French Republic has promoted Edward Henry Strobel '77 from the grade of Officer of the Legion of Honor to that of Grand Officer of the order. This is a promotion of two grades, and is undoubtedly owing to Professor Strobel's distinguished services in securing the recent treaty between France and Siam. Professor Strobel was a member of the class of 1877, graduated from the Harvard Law School in 1882, and received the degree of LL.D. in 1906. From 1885 to 1890 he was secretary to the United States legation at Madrid. From 1893 to 1894 he served as Third Assistant Secretary of State. In 1894 he was appointed Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to Ecuador, and held the same office in Chill from 1894 to 1897. Returning to the country in 1898, he held the Bemis Professorship of International Law at Harvard until 1906. Since 1903 Professor Strobel has acted as general adviser to the Government of Siam.

The French President has, in addition, appointed Jens Iverson Westengard L. '98, to the grade of Officer in the Legion of Honer. This distinction also comes as the result of the negotiations in connection with the Franco-Siamese treaty. Professor Westengard received the honorary degree of A.M. in 1903. After graduating from the Harvard Law School, he acted for a year as instructor in Criminal Law and Pleading, and in Engineering Contracts and Specifications. At the end of this time he was made assistant professor of Law, and filled that office until his resignation in 1906. Since 1908 he has acted in the capacity of assistant legal adviser to the King of Siam.