COLUMBIA WINS BASKETBALL

University Team Defeated in Fast and Well-Played Game.

NEW YORK CITY, Feb. 15, 1907.--In its fourth game of the intercollegiate series, played this evening at the Columbia Gymnasium, the University basketball team was defeated by Columbia by a score of 5 to 18. As expected, the game was fast and it proved also clean and fairly contested. During the first half the teams were evenly matched, and the period ended with the score, Harvard, 5; Columbia, 7. In spite of Burnham's excellent playing at right guard, however, the University team was unable to score during the second half, while Columbia, aided by Cuthel's splendid offensive game and accurate shooting from the floor and on tries from fouls, was enabled to increase her slight advantage to the final score of 18. Downey took Allen's place at right forward during this period, and for Columbia Smith and Melitzer were substituted for White and Armstrong.

The summary: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Allen, Downey, l.f.  r.g., Hurley Broun, Currie, r.f.  l.g., Armstrong, Melitzer Amberg, c.  c., Ryan Burnham, l.g.  r.f., White, Smith Brooks, r.g.  l.f., Cuthel

Score--Harvard, 5, Columbia, 18. Goals from floor--Allen, Brooks, Cuthel 2, Ryan 2, Armstrong, Hurley. Fouls called--on Harvard 8, on Columbia 6. Goals from fouls--Broun, Amberg, Cuthel 6. Referee--Lockmuller. Timekeeper--W. C. Chamberlin '08. Time--20-minute halves.

Basketball with Princeton Today.

The University basketball team will play its fifth game of the intercollegiate league series with Princeton this afternoon in the Princeton Gymnasium. Princeton's team has thus far lost every game it has played in the intercollegiate championship league, and a further comparison of the scores made by Harvard and Princeton in the series indicates an easy victory for the University team. Harvard played Princeton on January 19 and defeated her team 17 to 12 in a poorly played game, which, nevertheless, showed the superiority of the University team. Both Harvard and Princeton lost to Yale, but Princeton's defeat was much the more decisive. Harvard gave Cornell a severe defeat by a score of 30 to 11, and a month later Cornell defeated Princeton. Princeton lost twice to the University of Pennsylvania in games which were closer, however, than the scores--15 to 33 and 18 to 24--would indicate, and twice to Columbia, the latter scores being 14 to 22 and 15 to 18.

The line-up will probably be: HARVARD.  PRINCETON. Allen, l.f.  r.g., Halliday Broun, r.f.  l.g., Ryan Amberg, c.  c., Clark Burnham, l.g.  r.f., Hagenbuch Brooks, r.g.  l.f., Thompson

Basketball with Princeton Today.