LONGFELLOW CELEBRATION

In Cambridge Next Week.--President Eliot to Speak in Sanders Theatre.

The one-hundredth anniversary of the birth of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow will be observed in Cambridge next week. The exercises of the centenary will be under the auspices of the Cambridge Historical Society.

The program of the week will consist of an exhibition in the Cambridge Public Library of memoribilia of Longfellow, such as manuscripts, portraits, busts, and various manuscripts of his poems. This exhibition will begin on Monday, and will continue until March 3, being open from 9 A. M. to 9 P. M. daily. On Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock Mr. G. G. Wolkins, president of the Old South Historical society, Boston, will speak in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Museum on places connected with the Poet Longfellow, illustrated by stereopticon views. Mr. Wolkins will show some photographs from first drafts of poems that were changed before publication. This talk will be open to the public. On Wednesday from 12 to 4 o'clock the Longfellow House on Brattle street will be open to the public.

At Sanders Theatre on Wednesday evening, there will be public exercises at which addresses will be made by President Eliot '53, Colonel T. W. Higginson '41, Professor C. E. Norton '46, and Mr. W. D. Howells '67. A poem will be read by Mr. T. B. Aldrich '90, and several letters will be read from prominent men in the United States who will be unable to attend the exercises. A cantata entitled "The Village Blacksmith" will be sung at the exercises by a chorus from the Cambridge public schools. The doors will be open at 7.15 o'clock. At 7.30 there will be orchestral music, and the addresses will begin at 7.45. There will be a limited number of reserved seats for special guests until 7.35 o'clock.

On the night of February 27 there will also be special exercises in New York in commemoration of the centenary, and the Maine legislature have appointed the day as a special holiday in the state.