LONGFELLOW ANNIVERSARY

To be Celebrated Today.--Exercises in Sanders and New Lecture Hall.

The one-hundredth anniversary of the birth of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow h.'59 is to be celebrated in Cambridge today under the auspices of the Cambridge Historical Society and a committee of citizens and members of the University.

This evening in Sanders Theatre at 7.45 o'clock public exercises will be held, at which addresses will be made by President Eliot, Colonel T. W. Higginson '41 and Professor C. E. Norton '46. Owing to illness Mr. W. D. Howells h.'67, who was to be the principal speaker will be unable to attend, but his address will be read by Professor Bliss Perry of the department of English. For the same reason Mr. T. B. Aldrich will not be present, but his poem will be rendered by Mr. C. T. Copeland '82 of the English department. A special chorus from the public schools will sing the cantata, "The Village Blacksmith."

During the afternoon a special meeting, called "The Children's Hour," will be held in the New Lecture Hall for the pupils of the grammar grades.

The doors of Sanders Theatre will be open at 7.15 o'clock, at 7.20 there will be orchestral music, and at 7.45 the addresses will begin. A limited number of seats will be reserved for invited guests and for members of the Cambridge Historical Society until 7.35 o'clock. The doors will then be opened to the public.

Special Bronze Medal Designed.

As an enduring and valuable memorial of the event a special bronze medal has been struck, designed by Mr. B. L. Pratt, who also designed the similar medal commemorating the twenty-fifth anniversary of the accession of President Eliot to the presidency of Harvard College. The number of copies of this medal will be strictly limited to 200, some of which will be reserved to be given as prizes each year in the Cambridge schools.

Exhibition of the Poet's Works.

This week an interesting public exhibition is being held at the Cambridge Public Library of rare and beautiful editions of the poet's works, together with other memorabilia connected with his name, to which the University Library, Professor Norton, and other collectors have contributed.