Arboretum Expedition to China

The Arnold Arboretum has arranged to send Mr. E. H. Wilson, the well known English botanical collector, on a two-years' journey in central and western China to gather specimens of Chinese flora. Mr. Wilson is well qualified for this work, as he has already passed five years in China, and is well acquainted with the country and with its flowers.

He sailed from San Francisco for Shanghai on January 8 accompanied by Mr. J. E. Thayer '85, who is to collect birds, mammals, and reptiles of central and western China, which are now very imperfectly represented in American and European museums. They will proceed at once to Ichang and the gorges of the Yangtse which will be their permanent base or this year. In 1908 they will travel northward to the boundaries of Thibet and China, whence Mr. Wilson expects to return to Boston in May, 1909.

By an agreement with the Department of Agriculture, Mr. F. N. Meyer, who has been in China during the last two years as an agent of the Department, is to collect floral specimens on Mount Wuti in Sansi for the Arboretum during the spring and autumn of this year, under the direction of Mr. Wilson.