ACADEMIC PRIZES FOR 1906-07

A Complete List of the Prizes in the University Offered for Competition.

Essays for the Bowdoin prizes must be submitted to the Secretary of the Faculty, University 5, on or before April 1. The Bowdoin prizes for dissertations in English are as follows: a first prize of $250 and two second prizes of $100 each offered to undergraduates; and three prizes of $200 each offered to graduates; for dissertations in Greek and Latin, two prizes of $50 each offered to undergraduates for translations into Latin or Greek, and a prize of $100 offered to graduates for an original essay in Latin or Greek.

Competitors for the Boylston prizes in elocution, must enter their names with the Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory on or before Thursday, April 25. There are two first prizes of $60 each and three second prizes of $45 each, offered to Juniors and Seniors in the College. The competitions for the Dante, Sargent and Political Science prizes close May 1, 1907. The Dante prize is $100 for the best essay by a student in any department of the University, or by a graduate of not more than three years' standing, on a subject drawn from the life and work of Dante. The Sargent prize of $100 is for the best metrical translation of a lyric poem of Horace, and is open to undergraduates in Harvard and Radcliffe. The lyric for this year is the thirty-seventh ode of the first book.

The three prizes offered in political science are the Toppan, Sumner, and Bennett prizes, all of which are due on May 1. The Toppan prize of $150 for the best essay on a subject in political science is open to all student of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or of any of the professional schools who have received an academic degree, and to all graduates of Harvard College of not more than three years' standing. The Sumner prize of $100, for the best dissertation on a subject connected with universal peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superseded, is offered to any student of the University in any of its departments. The Bennett prize of $40 for the best essay in English prose on a subject of American governmental domestic or foreign policy of contemporaneous interest, is open only to Seniors in the College and to Special Students in their third or fourth year, who have taken courses in political science and English literature.

The George B. Sohier prize of $250 is offered to undergraduates, graduates who are resident in the University as members of the Graduate School, and to students in Radicliffe College, and will be given for the best thes-is presented by a candidate for honors in English and Modern Literature.

All wishing to compete for the Sales prize of $45, for the best scholar in Spanish who shall have commenced the study of that language at Harvard," must notify the Recorder on or before May 1. The competition is limited to undergraduates in the College or Scientific School.

The Philip Washburn prize of $75 is open to candidates for degrees of A.B. with distinction in History and Political Science, and is offered for the best thesis on some historical subject.

Candidates for the Ricardo prize scholarship of $350 must be members of the Senior class, of the College, or in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. All candidates must submit their names and a statement of their previous studies to the Chairman of the Department of Economics not later than May 15, and must present themselves for examination, to 'be held not later than June 1.

The David A. Wells prize in Economics of $500 is offered to members of the Senior class of the College or the Lawrence Scientific School, or to graduates of any department of the University, of--not more than three years standing. The subject must lie in the field of Economics, and the paper must be handed in to the Chairman of the Department of Economics before November 1, 1907.

Competitors for the Jeremy Belknap prize of $50, for the best French composition written by a first-year student in the College or Scientific School, must notify the Recorder on or before May 1, of their intention to compete.

The Francis Boott prize for the composer of the best concerted vocal music, open to undergraduates or members of any graduate school of the University, consists of $100.

The Coolidge Debating Prizes have already been awarded for the current academic year, and the Pasteur Medal will be awarded to the best speaker at the third inter-club debate between the Agora and the Forum--the upperclass debating clubs--on May 3. The conditions governing the award of the Lloyd McKim Garrison prize of $100 for the best poem on a subject announced by the English department were published in yesterday's CRIMSON.

Further information in regard to the above prizes may be obtained in circulars, which may be had at the University Publication Office.