"Volcanoes, Active and Extinct"

The fifth and last of the series of illustrated scientific lectures in the University Museum, open to the public, will be given tomorrow afternoon at 3.30 o'clock, by Professor Douglas Wilson Johnson, on the subject of "Volcanoes, Active and Extinct." This replaces the lecture previously announced on "Quartz" on account of the temporary disability of Professor Palache. Professor Johnson will describe certain volcanoes which are now active, other which have been active in recent geological time, but which now appear to be extinct, and still others which have been extinct so long that they have been more or less completely worn away. The lecture will be illustrated with lantern views from photographs, a number of which were taken by members of the Geological department last summer, thus exhibiting Vesuvius after its recent eruption, Colima recently active in Mexico, and the extinct volcanoes of Arizona. The relation of volcanoes to earthquakes will be briefly touched upon, and the evidence of ancient volcanoes near Boston described.