LECTURE BY FAMOUS RUSSIANS

N. W. Tchaykovsky and A. Aladyin, Aided by Mr. Durland, in Union at 8.

Tonight at 8 o'clock, there will be a lecture in the Living Room of the Union by Nicholas W. Tchaykovsky and Alexis Aladyin, alded by Mr. Kellog Durland, a well-known American journalist. The object of the lecture is to discourage further financial aid to the Russian government.

Mr. Copeland will introduce the first speaker, Mr. Durland, who will give an illustrated talk on his own experiences in Russia. Mr. Durland was born in New York, attended Harvard for a time, and then went to the Universities of Edinburgh and Paris. He was in Russia at the time when the Czar made his famous speech at the opening of the Duma, reporting for Harper's Weekly. The things which he tells of in his talk were witnessed by his own eyes, and the pictures he shows, are very vivid witnesses of these sights.

Nicholas W. Tchaykovsky, a man about 60 years of age, gave up a home of comfort and pleasure to enter the ranks of the poor in the early struggles for justice about 1870. Since that time his name has stood for absolute moral integrity, and has been associated with various revolutionary organizations. About 1873 he was imprisoned and soon after, forced to go into temporary exile. He came to this country in 1875, and lived on a farm in Kansas for two years. He then moved to Philadelphia, going most of the way on foot, and worked in a ship-yard in Chester. Shortly after this he returned to Europe, but settled in London, where he has had his headquarters since 1880, visiting Russia from time to time "on business."

Alexis Aladyin, the last speaker, best known as the leader of the peasant party in the last Russian Duma, has a very great influence over the entire industrial and farmers' party, and is one of the strongest revolutionary forces in Russia. Though born a peasant, he is well educated, speaking English, French, and Italian fluently. He has often visited London, and has given talks in Whitechapel, the heart of the laboring quarter. In 1905 he returned to St. Petersburg, and was asked by the peasants to run for deputy in the Duma. On receiving information that he was being watched closely, he decided to leave the country, and on returning, learned that he had been elected deputy during his absence. He gathered the strongest peasants about him and organized the peasants' party, of which he is the recognized leader, though prevented from renomination to the Duma by the government. He will describe some of the interesting things which have transpired in the Duma.