"THE SOUTH OF TODAY"

Ex-Governor Montague of Virginia Will Lecture in Sanders Theatre Tonight.

Hon. A. J. Montague, ex-governor of Virginia, will deliver a lecture under the auspices of the Association of Southern States Clubs on "The South of Today" in Sanders Theatre tonight at 8 o'clock. President Eliot will preside.

Mr. Montague, who holds degrees from Richmond College and the University of Virginia, is a practicing lawyer at Richmond. He was attorney general of Virginia from 1898 to 1902, and from 1902 to 1906 was governor of the state. As governor, he was a leader in Southern educational movements, and is now a member of the Southern Education Board. He introduced the legalized primary in Virginia, and has always been a leader in political reform.

Mr. Montague will speak on the South of today with especial reference to economic conditions and opportunities. He will narrow his address to opportunities for educated young men in the South, and will indicate what the South has accomplished in making it a desirable field or immigration.

The lecture will be open to the public.

Letter from Dr. Lyman Abbott.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I learn that Ex-Governor Montague of Virginia has accepted an invitation to address the students of Harvard at Sanders Theatre this evening. May I ask the privilege of your columns to say that Mr. Montague is one of the very best types of Southern gentlemen I have ever met: a gentlemen of great culture, of high ideals, a fascinating personality, and a finished and eloquent speaker. One of the great needs of our country is that the North and South should better understand one another. Harvard University could desire no better interpreter of the best ethical and political thought of the South than it will have in Ex-Governor Montague. LYMAN ABBOTT.