Musical Club Dinner Successful

The anniversary dinner of the Musical Club, held at the Hotel Nottingham last evening, was largely attended and proved to be a great success. About 90 undergraduate and graduate members were present, among whom the most prominent were, Dean L. B. R. Briggs '75, Dean B. S. Hurlbut '87, Professor W. R. Spalding '87, Professor Josiah Royce, Mr. W. A. Locke '69, Mr. Arthur Foote '74, Professor F. S. Converse '93, Mr. Wallace Goodrich, Mr. G. W. Chadwick of Boston, and Mr. T. W. Surette of New York.

Dean Briggs acted as toastmaster, and introduced Mr. Arthur Foote '74 as the first speaker. He spoke on the great progress made by the Musical Department since he was an undergraduate and emphasized the need of a new building which should be the seat of all musical activity at Harvard. Dr. S. W. Langmaid '59 spoke on the same general topic, laying especial stress on the fact that as Harvard was the first college to recognize music among its courses, and allow students to take music courses both for entrance examinations and for degrees, she should be the first to give her Musical Department a suitable home.

Professor Royce, Professor L. R. Lewis '88 of Tufts, and Mr. Arthur B. Whiting '90, all spoke on the necessity of a muical education. Too much stress has been laid upon the idea that in order to be musical one must be a musician, but all that is necessary to have a proper appreciation of good music as an art. These speakers commended the work undertaken by the Musical Club in attempting to interest all men in the love and study of music for its own sake. Professor Lewis told of the attempts which have been made to introduce music courses into secondary and preparatory schools, and to impress upon educators the value of music as a cultivating influence.

Professor W. R. Spalding '87, Mr. Elson of Boston and several prominent undergraduates told of the work done by the Musical Club during its short existence, and of the hopes entertained for a new musical building which unite all the musical interests of the University, including the courses given by the Department of Music, the Glee, Mandolin, and Banjo Clubs, the Pierian Sodality and the Musical Club.