DARTMOUTH, 4; HARVARD, 3

Baseball Team Defeated by Costly Errors.--Maine Game Today.

Dartmouth defeated the University baseball team last Saturday on Soldiers Field by the score of 4 to 3. Had it not been for Briggs poor fielding in the sixth and seventh innings the two runs Harvard scored in the first inning would have been enough to win the game. As it was, Dartmouth barely averted defeat in the ninth when Harvard made a final effort to tie the score and only failed by a small margin.

While the fielding on the whole was not up to the standard it was not the kind to cause discouragement, and the hitting was excellent. Eight clean hits were secured off Skillen, five of which were bunched in the first and last innings. McCall's work at second was brilliant. He accepted seven chances perfectly, one of which was only effected after a sensational play of Merritt's line drive in the ninth, which he knocked down on the run and recovered in time to get the man at first. At the bat he secured a single and a two-bagger.

Hartford's work in the box was very encouraging. Against a team of seasoned, hard-hitting players, he pitched heady, consistent ball from start to finish. His curves were working well and although he only struck out three men, he gave only six scattered hits and passed one man. With proper support in the field he would have won his game. Skillen improved as the game went on and had eleven strikeouts to his credit.

Harvard started the scoring in the first inning. Harvey struck out but Skillen hit Briggs. McCall hit to left field for two bases, Briggs taking third, and Dexter scored them both with a single past first. Simons flew out to the infield. Dartmouth made a strong try for a run in the second, when with one down, Grebenstein knocked a long two-bagger over Harvey's head. Richardson flied out but Norton placed a hit over second on which Grebenstein tried to score but was caught at the plate by Harvey's perfect throw. Dartmouth's score in the fifth was the result of Richardson's two-base hit, a clever bunt and a fly to Pounds which scored Richardson. They tied the score in the sixth without getting a hit, errors by Simons and Briggs letting Skillen reach the plate.

Dartmouth won the game in the seventh inning with the help of two inexcusable errors. Schopperly reached first on Briggs' muff, was advanced by McLane, who also was safe on an error. Schildmiller sacrificed and the base-runners moved up a base, both scoring on Merritt's timely hit to centre. McDevitt and Skillen were easy outs.

With a lead of two runs to overcome, Harvard rallied in the ninth. Briggs went out, Grebenstein to Schildmiller, and McCall struck out. With two down, Captain Dexter beat out a slow grounder to shortstop and immediately stole second. Simons advanced him with a pretty single to centre and took second on a fielder's choice. Leonard was put in to bat for Pounds and scored Dexter with a hit past third. Pritchett, the last man up, knocked a low fly to- wards second which was caught by Norton.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Harvey, c.f.  4  0  0  0  1  0Briggs, 1b.  3  1  1  13  0  3McCall, 2b.  4  1  2  2  5  0Dexter, l.f.  4  1  2  2  0  0Simons, s.s.  4  0  1  1  0  1Pounds, r.f.  3  0  0  2  0  1Pritchett, 3b.  4  0  0  0  2  0Currier, c.  3  0  1  7  0  0Hartford, p.  3  0  0  0  4  0*Leonard,  1  0  1  0  0  0Totals,  33  3  8  27  12  5DARTMOUTH.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Schildmiller, 1b.  4  0  1  7  1  0Merritt, r.f.  4  0  1  0  1  0McDevitt, c.f.  4  0  0  0  1  0Skillen, p.  4  1  0  1  1  0Grebenstein, 3b.  4  0  1  3  2  0Richardson, s.s.  3  1  1  1  0  1Norton, 2b.  4  0  2  3  1  0Schopperly, c.  4  1  0  11  2  0McLane, l.f.  3  1  0  1  0  0Totals,  34  4  6  27  9