OPPORTUNITIES NEGLECTED

It is usually not until after graduation that Harvard men are often forced to admit an ignorance, far from flattering, of the buildings and places of interest not only in Boston, but within the bounds of their own University. We do not speak entirely of those self-sufficient students who pride themselves on the fact that they have never been inside Appleton Chapel, or seen the stained windows in Memorial. Nor can we admit in this case the entire truth of the adage that familiarity breeds contempt. It is more probable the somewhat confined routine of University life and the busy rush of undergraduate activities, which close a man's eyes to the picturesqueness and interest of his environments.

Especially for those students who so often complain of the funeral effect of a Sunday spent in Cambridge, the CRIMSON would take this opportunity of suggesting various interesting and pleasant excursions in the neighborhood. Concord and Salem, delightful old colonial towns, are not merely the receptacle of scattered monuments commemorating the halting places of the Continental or British troops. Nor is the Wayside Inn, where Longfellow actually wrote his tales, a bit of forgotten fiction. Without attempting to catalogue the various trips in this vicinity the CRIMSON would merely try to open men's eyes to the many delightful ways of passing the spring afternoons in and about Cambridge.