HARVARD, 3; MAINE, 1

University Team Won Slow Game Yesterday--Three Double Plays Made.

The University baseball team defeated the University of Maine yesterday afternoon in a tedious and unsatisfactory game by the score of 3 to 1. The score should have been larger, but Harvard lost several chances for runs by stupid errors on the bases. While there were several clever plays pulled off in the field, notably Harvard's three double plays, each of which spoiled good chances for runs, it was uninteresting baseball for the most part, and the slow playing of the visitors made the game drag unnecessarily.

Slater did not allow a hit during the entire game, and would have scored a shut-out but for McCall's error. He was effective all the time, and struck out seven men and passed only two. The opposing pitcher, Quint, was not speedy, and did not have a great variety of curves; but he pulled himself out of several tight places by making the men at the bat knock pop flies. Captain Dexter made two pretty catches in left field, and scored the first run with a pretty single to left, after which he stole second and third. Pounds' work in right showed no improvement, his throw to the plate in the fifth, on the only chance he had, being an inexcusable error in judgment. Currier and Simons continued their heavy batting, the former getting two clean singles, and the latter, a two-bagger and a three-bagger.

Harvard scored in the first inning. Harvey flied out to the infield and Briggs was hit, stole second and scored on Dexter's single, after McCall had flied out to left. The third run was scored in the seventh. Currier was passed, advanced to third on Slater's single and scored on McCall's out. Simons was left on third in the eighth after knocking a three-base hit to deep centre with one out.

Maine's first chance to score was in the third, but it was killed by a fast double play. After Chase had fouled out, Quint reached first on Simons' error, but was doubled up with Goodrich on the latter's grounder to third, Pritchett to McCall to Briggs. In the fourth, Scales was passed, but Mayo hit into the double play, Simons to McCall to Briggs, and Tuell fouled out. Again in the sixth, Scales and Mayo were doubled up after Goodrich had struck out. Maine scored in the fifth after two were down. Smith reached second on Simons' wide throw to Briggs and scored on McCall's error of Chase's difficult drive. Quint went out, Simons to Briggs, ending the inning. Maine never threatened to score after that.

The summary: HARVARD   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Harvey, c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0 Briggs, 1b.  2  1  0  8  0  1 McCall, 2b.  4  0  0  4  5  1 Dexter, l.f.  3  0  1  2  0  0 Simons, s.s.  4  1  2  0  3  2 Pounds, r.f.  2  0  0  0  0  0 Pritchett, 3b.  4  0  1  0  2  0 Currier, c.  3  1  2  9  0  0 Slater, p.  3  0  1  2  1  0 Totals,  29  3  7  27  11  4

MAINE.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Goodrich, r.f.  4  0  0  0  1  0Scales, 2b.  2  0  0  1  2  0Mayo, 1b.  4  0  0  7  0  0Higgins, 3b.  3  0  0  3  0  0Tuell, l.f.  3  0  0  3  0  1Gordon, c.  3  0  0  5  1  0Smith, s.s.  3  1  0  1  0  1Chase, c.f.  3  0  0  3  1  0Quint, p.  3  0  0  1  5  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  28  1  0  24  10