HARVARD COLUMBIA BOATRACE.

The boatrace this afternoon bids fair to be well contested and a good try-out for both crews. On account of the late spring this year, however, neither the University nor the Columbia crew is as much developed as it ought to be for a race. Furthermore, both eights have been handicapped by the changes that have been made at very recent dates. In weight and experience, however, the Harvard crew has an advantage and for that reason ought to win.

This contest is the only one for the University crew on the Charles this year and on that account is of as much interest as the races with Cornell last year and the year before have proved. It also is very pleasant for Harvard to extend to another field of sport her athletic relations with Columbia. For several years there have been contests in baseball, hockey, basketball, and other games between the two universities, but this is the first boatrace. Geographically, Columbia is situated near enough to Harvard for the two institutions to meet frequently, and it is to be hoped that such will be the case in the future.

Another reason why the race will be of interest this afternoon is that until last fall Coach Rice of Columbia was in charge of the crews that rowed from the Weld Boat Club, and the contest this afternoon will be the first for Columbia under his direction. A close race has been predicted, but the CRIMSON feels sure that it voices the sentiments of the University in saying that there is the utmost confidence in Captain Bacon and his men to win this afternoon.