THE CREW OUTLOOK

The result of the Columbia boatrace on Saturday afternoon is in no wise discouraging as regards the prospect of a winning eight at New London. That the University crew was defeated is a disappointment, but must not be considered as effecting the ultimate chances any more than the defeat of the baseball team by Cornell. Coming as it did early in a season retarded by cold weather, the race on Saturday was a try-out for the men individually rather than for the Harvard crew as a whole. In form the eight rowed smoothly, but lacked the fire and generalship necessary to win a short race.

That some changes will be made in the near future is a certainty. There are several first-rate men on the University rowing squad that have not yet been tried in the first boat, and these changes would have been made before, had it not been necessary to select eight men and train them to row together before the contest with Columbia.

Everybody is disappointed at the defeat on Saturday. It taught its lessons, however, and the University still has the utmost confidence in Coach Wray and Captain Bacon.