ANOTHER TEN-INNING GAME

Baseball Team Defeated Andover Yesterday by Score of 4 to 3.

Andover was defeated by the University baseball team yesterday afternoon on Brothers Field, Andover, by the score of 4 to 3. It required an extra inning to defeat the fast preparatory school nine, and but for a batting rally in the ninth, Harvard would not have had the chance to win the game in the tenth.

With two men out and men on first and second, Harvey came to bat in the ninth, with the score 3 to 2 in favor of Andover. Belford pitched two strikes to him, but he hit the next one to left centre, scoring McCall from second and tying the score. Andover failed to score in its half of the ninth, but the University nine, taking advantage of Andover's only costly misplay, won the game by a run in the tenth. With one out, Brennan hit to Merritt but the throw to Shannon was low and the ball bounced off the first baseman's leg to right field, Brennan going to second. Leonard's grounder to Shannon advanced him to third, and he scored on Briggs' hit. Andover got a man on base in the last half of the tenth inning through McCall's error, but was unable to score.

The University team did not play yesterday with the life that has characterized their playing this spring. On the bases there was the same carelessness that was responsible for Princeton's victory last week. In the sixth inning, the first two men up were safe, Leonard on a bunt and Briggs on a base on balls; but Leonard was caught off second by a quick throw from Belford and Briggs was put out on an attempted steal.

However, the team hit the ball better than they have for some time, and they would have had at least two more hits but for the phenomenal fielding of Merritt and Badger. In the fourth inning, Simons hit to right centre, directly between Badger and Daly. The former after a hard sprint caught the ball close to ground, while running at full speed, and prevented a two-bagger. In the seventh, Merritt caught a fast grounder by Simons directly over third base and fielded it to first before the runner.

Brennan had one disastrous inning. In the seventh, he passed two men, hit another, and gave two hits. His curves broke too soon and were not as speedy as usual. Andover made six hits off his delivery, but they were well scattered except in the seventh.

Harvard scored two runs in the third by clean hitting. Dana singled to left, stole second, and scored on Brennan's three-bagger over the left fielder's head. After Leonard had been put out, Briggs singled to centre, scoring Brennan. This was the only scoring by Harvard until the ninth, when the score was tied by Harvey's hit. Merritt's bad throw and Briggs' single were responsible for the winning run.

In the fifth, Belford reached first for Andover on McCall's error, after Burdett had flied to Dexter. Martin went out, Brennan to Briggs, but Leonard had trouble with Merritt's grounder and threw over Briggs' head, Belford scoring. After Shannon had struck out in the seventh inning, Burdett singled, Brennan passed Belford and hit Martin, filling the bases. Merritt worked the squeeze play with a perfect bunt towards first base on which Burdett scored and the bases were still full with only one out. McIntyre flied to Dexter, but Reilly was passed, forcing in another run. Washburn, the last man up, flied to McCall.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Leonard, 3b.  5  0  1  0  5  1Briggs, 1b.  4  0  2  14  0  0McCall, 2b.  5  1  1  2  3  2Dexter, l.f.  4  0  1  3  0  0Simons, s.s.  4  0  0  2  4  0Harvey, c.f.  3  0  1  4  0  0Dana, r.f.  4  1  2  0  0  0Currier, c.  4  0  0  5  1  0Brennan, p.  4  2  1  0  4  0Totals,  37  4  9  30  17  3ANDOVER.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Martin, l.f.  4  0  1  1  0  1Merritt, 3b.  5  0  1  3  4  0McIntyre, 2b.  5  0  0  0  1  0Reilly, s.s.  4  0  2  4  5  0Daly, r.f.  2  0  0  2  0  0Washburn, r.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Badger, c.f.  5  0  0  2  0  0Shannon, 1b.  3  0  0  13  0  0Burdett, c.  4  1  2  5  2  0Belford, p.  3  2  0  0  2  0Totals,  38  3  6  30  14