Herbert Baxter Adams Prize

The Herbert Baxter Adams prize of $200, offered biennially by the American Historical Association for the encouragement of historical research, will be awarded for the year 1907 to the best unpublished monograph in the field of European history that shall be submitted to Professor C. Gross h.'01, of the history department, chairman of the committee of award, on or before October 1, 1907.

The prize is open to all competitors, but it is intended for writers who have not yet published any considerable work or obtained an established reputation. The monograph must be based upon independent and original investigation in European history. It may deal with any aspect of that history--social, political, constitutional, religious, economic, ethnological, military, or biographical. A critical bibliography must accompany the monograph. In making the award the committee will consider not only research, accuracy, and originality, but also clearness of expression and literary form. The prize will not be awarded unless the work submitted shall be of a high degree of excellence. The successful monograph will be published by the American Historical Association.