ENCOURAGING CREW PRACTICE

Changes In Second and Four-Oared Crews.--Time of Columbia Race.

The work of the University crew yesterday afternoon was varied in character. The men went upstream to the Brighton bridge, rowed down as far as the Boylston street bridge, and then took a stretch upstream again as far as the Stillman Infirmary, before returning to the University boathouse. The distance covered was about 4 and 1-2 miles. At times a fairly fast stroke was rowed, and at other times the crew merely paddled. In the single racing start that was attempted the University crew was able to pull ahead of the second. Considerable improvement in the first crew over Tuesday's practice was noticeable, particularly in the life and fire that the men put into their work.

A change was made in the order of the second crew with an eye toward selecting the eight that is to go to the American Henley Regatta at Philadelphia on May 25. Macdonald was moved from 3 in the second eight to number 3 in the four-oar; Swaim went from 5 to 3 in the second; and Hanfstaengl, who has been rowing in the four-oar went into Swaim's seat at 5. Fahnestock went into the four-oar as stroke in place of Hyde. The second crew was balanced better in the new order, but did not row well together. On the way downstream from the Brighton bridge, Farley broke his oar. Before rowing upstream with the University crew, the second tried three racing starts against the Freshman crew. In two of these burshes the 1910 boat finished ahead, but the University second won the other.

The time that the University crew race with Columbia will start on Saturday afternoon will be 2.30 o'clock--not 5 o'clock, as was announced in certain Boston and New York papers yesterday. Two other races will be rowed that afternoon before the University contest. The Senior crew will row against Stone's School at 1.30 o'clock, and the Freshman eight will start against the Worcester High School at 2.

The orders:

University crew--Stroke, Tappan; 7, Amberg; 6, Glass; 5, Richardson; 4, R. Bacon; 3, Faulkner; 2, Fish; bow, Burchard; cox., Blagden.

Second crew--Stroke, Farley; 7, Morgan; 6, Lovering; 5, Hanfstaengl; 4, Lunt; 3, Swaim; 2, G. Bacon; bow, Wiggins; cox., Arnold.

Four-oared crew--Stroke, Fahnestock; 3, Macdonald; 2, Mulligan; bow, Cutler; cox., Dutton.