LIGHT WORK FOR ALL CREWS

Morgan, Lunt and Buxton Unable to Row On Account of Sickness.

HARVARD CREW QUARTERS, RED TOP, CT., June 17, 1907.--The work for the crews here today was moderately light. In the morning the University crew went downstream for a mile, and then returned up the river to Red Top, after which it again went downstream for half a mile before leaving the water. The Freshman crew covered a mile and a half in easy stretches. Buxton, who has rowed regularly at 4, is threatened with the mumps, and has been quarantined. Vogel took his place and Loring was put in at 2 in the four-oared in Vogel's position.

In the afternoon the work was harder. The University and Freshman eights rowed downstream together in easy stretches as far as the 2 1-2 mile mark. The crews then turned around and started back with the Freshmen slightly in the lead. The crews remained in about the same relative position for some distance, when the Freshmen started to draw ahead and gained a quarter of a boat length. Farley then raised his stroke and the crews raced for a quarter of a mile. The University eight spaced well and finished a half a length in the lead. The University four-oar rowed over two miles of the course against the tide, this afternoon, in slow time, and the Freshman four-oar, coxswained by Assistant Coach Gill, covered three miles in easy stretches. It was announced today that substitute Morgan will be unable to row for at least a week, owing to an injury to the base of his spine which he received playing baseball several days ago. Lunt is also ill, but will be able to row again within a day or two. Wyman, who was taken ill with the mumps last Tuesday, went out in a pair oar with Assistant Coach Gill this morning. W. Blair, coach of the Yale freshmen, was the guest of Captain Bacon at luncheon today. J. F. Perkins '99, of the graduate advisory rowing committee, arrived today. He will be here until after the races and will organize the Harvard gentleman's eight, which will race the crew of Yale graduates for the Graves Cup on June 26.