THE NEW LONDON REGATTA

Harvard Meets Yale on the Thames on June 27.--Close Race Probable.

The annual Harvard-Yale rowing regatta will be held on the Thames, near New London, Conn., on Thursday, June 27. The Freshman eights will start under the New London railroad bridge at 10 o'clock in the morning and will row upstream for two miles, finishing at the Navy Yard. Directly after the finish of the Freshman race, the University four-oared crews will start at the Navy Yard to race upstream. They will finish near the west shore of the Thames, opposite "Red Top." The race between the university eights is scheduled to start in the afternoon at 1.30 o'clock. It will be over the four-mile course, starting where the four-oared crews finish in the morning opposite "Red Top," and will finish under the railroad bridge at New London, where the Freshmen start in the morning. On account of the tide, however, it has been agreed this year that unless the university eights get away from the mark before 3 o'clock, the race will be postponed until 6; and in that case it will be rowed upstream, starting under the railroad bridge at New London and finishing opposite "Red Top." The race between the two Freshman four-oared crews, and the graduates' race for the Graves Cup will be rowed on the afternoon preceding the other races, June 26.

The prospects for winning all the races except the University four-oar are fairly good this year. Since going to New London all the crews have shown considerable improvement, especially the University eight. With the warmer weather that has prevailed since the men left the Charles, Coach Wray has been able to make their form much smoother, and has aided them in getting together in a way that was impossible so long as the raw weather continued.

Harvard Crew Severely Handicapped.

The University and Freshman crew squads were called out for spring rowing soon after the mid-year examinations, and since then the squads have been gradually cut down, until the combinations have at last been selected. This year all the Harvard crews have struggled against unusual difficulties in the way of sickness and continued cold weather. The ice was later than usual in leaving the Charles, and even after it finally went, the late winter made rowing decidedly uncomfortable. In regard to sickness, Captain Bacon is the only man that has been in the boat since the season started. Richardson was unable to report at first on account of water on the knee; Glass was out of the Cornell race on account of the mumps; and Severance was physically unfit for the Columbia race; at other times Farley and Fish have been out of the boat with colds. Several of the Freshmen have also been laid up since the beginning of the season, and at present it is very doubtful whether Wyman, number 5, who has the mumps at the New London Memorial Hospital, will be in condition soon enough to be in the race.

Individual Criticism.

In the University boat the biggest problem this year was the selection of a stroke. E. Farley '07 has at last been decided on as the best man available for the position. He stroked his 1907 Freshman class crew, rowed on the victorious four-oared crew in 1905, and stroked the University eight this year against Cornell. In this last race he rowed very well. He showed good generalship and pulled hard all the way. Furthermore, the men have become accustomed to his rhythm and can follow him with regularity. Nevertheless he is none too sure of himself, for he has shown a tendency to shorten his stroke at both ends as soon as he becomes fatigued. This forces all the rest of the men to rush their recovery, and would prove fatal to the chances of any crew in a race.

Behind Farley rows J. Richardson, Jr., '08, the most reliable man in the boat. He occupies a very important position and fills it well. He rowed number 5 on the 1908 Freshman crew and last year occupied the corresponding position in the University shell. After Severance, Faulkner, and several other men had been tried out for number 7 this year, Coach Wray decided to move Richardson down the boat. He has demonstrated his ability to pass the beat up the boat at a fast as well as at a slow stroke, and on account of his exceptional endurance is a splendid man to have for the starboard stroke.

G. G. Glass '08, who was moved from number 4 to 6, is the heaviest and tallest man in the boat. He was a candidate for the 1908 Freshman crew, but was taken sick and unable to row in the spring of 1905. Last year he rowed 4 in the Cornell and Yale races; but he contracted water on the knee in England last summer and was unable to take part in the race against Cambridge. He pulls a very powerful oar and has mastered the Wray stroke Glass is a very reliable man and is especially valuable on account of his long reach and weight.

The fifth thwart is occupied this year by W. R. Severance '09. Last year Severance rowed in the same position in the 1909 Freshman crew. He is a fairly smooth car, but has to be handled with care before any race because of his tendency to overtrain. He was unable to row against Columbia this year on account of poor condition, but in the Cornell race he kept well in unison with the rest of the crew, and pulled a strong and steady oar.

Captain R. L. Bacon '07 this year was moved from 6 in the boat, where he rowed last year and the year before, to number 4. He exchanged seats with Glass when this change was made. His two years on the University crew and a season on the 1907 Freshman eight have developed Bacon into a fairly good oarsman. He pulls hard and as captain has the confidence of all the other men in the boat. At times, however, his form becomes ragged.

R. M. Faulkner '09 at number 3 fills the seat fairly well. His slide control is inferior to the other men in the crew, but he is particularly clean in his blade work. Last year he was captain and 7 on the 1909 Freshman crew.

S. W. Fish '08 holds his seat at number 2 for the second season on account of his strength. He is not at all smooth in his form, getting his hands away from his body at the beginning of the recovery in different time from the rest of the crew. He is very powerful, however, and proves an effective man in the boat. He rowed 2 on the 1908 Freshman crew, and last year and this has rowed the same position in all the races of the University eight.

The man who rows bow, R. M. Tappan '07, rowed there last year and number 3 the year before in addition to rowing on the 1907 Freshman eight. On account of his unusually smooth form. Coach Wray considered him seriously for stroke this season. He was tried out in the Columbia race, and did not prove as effective as had been hoped. Nevertheless, he is the best man on the squad for bow. He is particularly smooth, pulls hard, and rows a difficult position with ease.

F. M. Blagden '09, coxswain has had experience of five races on the University crew this year and last as well as one on his Freshman class crew last year in the Beacon Cup Regatta. He trains down fairly light before a race and has the confidence of the entire crew. His steering is not always what it ought to be, but on the whole he is above the average University coxswain.

This year Yale has a very smooth working crew in practice, although not so smooth as the 1906 Yale crew. The men have been together somewhat longer than the Harvard eight as it is at present composed, and are considered a steady and reliable combination. Nevertheless, the Yale boat this year does not seem to have the power behind the oars that is in the Harvard boat. A close race on June 27 is looked for and unless the stroke goes wrong, the Harvard crew ought to win.

Four-Oar and Freshman Crews.

The University four-oar crew lacks that very power which the eight seems to have. The men have gotten fairly well together, but do not seem to be able to send their shell through the water fast enough. The Yale four-oar, on the other hand, works smoothly and forces the boat to run along considerably between strokes. The men appear to be a more powerful crew than the Harvard four, and for that reason are expected to win, although not so easily as last year.

Harvard's Freshman crew is expected to win the first race of the day in the Regatta. The crew has been rowing well since a week before the men left Cambridge. Bacon at stroke is a reliable man and can row a fairly fast clip when necessary. Moreover, the Harvard Freshmen are a heavier and a smoother rewing crew than the Yale 1910 boat. They are not as strong as either the 1908 or the 1909 Freshman crews, but row together excellently.

Following are the orders of all the crews:

University eight--Stroke, Farley; 7, Richardson; 6, Glass; 5, Severance; 4, R. L. Bacon; 3, Faulkner; 2, Fish; bow, Tappan; cox., Blagden.

Yale eight--Stroke, Boulton; 7, Ide; 6, Howe; 5, Taft; 4, Hoppin; 3, Rice; 2, Mayer; bow, Auchincloss; cox, Barkaloss

University Four--Stroke, G. G. Bacon; 3, Burchard; 2, Swaim; haw, Wiggins; cox., Arnold.

Yale four--Stroke, Griswold; 3, Dunkle; 2, Robbins; bow, Rockwell; cox., Holmes.

Harvard Freshman eight--Stroke, E. C. Bacon; 7, Marvin; 6, Waid; 5, Wyman; 4, Buxton; 3, Colt; 2, Sargent; bow, Morgan; cox., Adams.

Yale freshman eight--Stroke, Walls; 7, Mills; 6, Hunt; 5, Wodell; 4, Austin; 3, Coates; 2, Hoyt; bow, Smith; cox, Cass.

Harvard Freshman four--Stroke, Maxwell; 3, Hadden; 2, Loring; bow, Forster; cox., Adams.

Yale freshman four--Stroke, Morse; 3, Roberts; 2, Brainard; bow, Hunsiker; cox., Buist