PARODY ON "FAIR HARVARD"

Although it is hardly within the sphere of the CRIMSON to criticise the other College papers, we feel that the parody on "Fair Harvard" in the last number of the Lampoon calls for some adverse comment. The writer may have intended to ridicule away the suggestion that more appropriate words could be chosen for "Fair Harvard," but his verses seem to be in extremely poor taste. Harvard may take pride in its freedom from antiquated traditions, but it is possible to carry cynicism too far. The song, which is parodied in the Lampoon, has meant much to generations of Harvard men, and it seems almost sacrilegious to distort the well-known verses to furnish sport for a few readers. It was especially unfortunate that this should have appeared on the day of the Intercollegiate Track Meet. Harvard men might understand it as a protest against the suggestion to change the words of "Fair Harvard"; but men from other colleges--if any of them chanced to see the Lampoon--would have but a poor opinion of Harvard's reverence for one of her oldest traditions.