International Zoological Comgress

The seventh meeting of the International Zoological Congress was held at the University Medical School, August 20 to 23. The meeting was the first to be held in America and was attended by over 600 members and delegates from foreign zoological societies. A presentation of resent research work and theory was the general object of the congress.

Addresses were given before the entire congress by Professor Richard Hertwig of Munich, Sir John Murray of the "Challenger" expedition and Professor W. K. Brooks of Johns Hopkins university. For the rest the congress was divided into ten sections, in each of which papers relating to a special branch of zoology were read. Professor C. S. Minot '78p, and Professor W. B. Cannon, '96, of the medical school were in charge of the sections relating to Comparative Anatomy and Comparative Zoology. A large number of the 300 papers presented were by the foreign delegates.

Several receptions were given to the congress, the principal one being by Professor A. Agissiz '55, president of the Congress. On Saturday, August 25, the delegates visited Harvard and were addressed in Sander's Theatre by President Eliot.