FOOTBALL STILL UNSETTLED

A Strong Coaching Staff.--Training Table at Memorial.

Although the University football squad has been practicing now for 10 days, it is still impossible to pick even the probable 11 men who will play against Yale. Kennard and Macdonald, both of whom played in the Yale game last year, seem to be the leading candidates for end, with M. C. Peirce and Bird the first substitutes. The tackle positions are very uncertain. There is some talk of shifting W. Peirce to guard, to fill the place left vacant by Kersburg. In that case the best men for tackle would be Inches, Robinson, Hoar or H. C. Blanchard. Burr will undoubtedly fill his former position of left guard; and barring Peirce, the most likely men for right guard are Alley, Brock and Wilson, who played on the Ohio State eleven two years ago. The substitutes for Captain Parker's position at centre are Barney, Nourse, Grant, Dore and Plumb. Either Starr or Newhall will play quarterback. Starr was quarterback in 1905 and last year Newhall played in that position, after Starr was transferred to end. For halfbacks, Rand, Gilbert, Enos, Lockwood, Gilder and Graydon seem to have the best chance There are four excellent candidates for fullback, Wendell, who played there last year, Apollonio, Mason and Gray. Mason has improved greatly this year and plays a quick, aggressive game.

Coach Crane's Assistants.

A most efficient corps of coaches are on the field to assist Head Coach Crane. L. H. Leary '03, end of the 1905 eleven and substitute end in 1904, has charge of the ends. He has the ability to coach them well and puts much spirit into their play. C. D. Daly '01, who coaches the backfield and more especially the quarterbacks, was captain and quarterbacks, of the 1900 eleven. After graduating from the University, he played on the West Point team. He has an excellent knowledge of the game and can pick out and remedy whatever weak points a new play may have. O. F. Cutts, tackle on Campbell's famous 1901 eleven, arrived on Saturday and will assist in the coaching from now on. His coming will be most timely, for few men are better qualified to coach tackles and guards than he, and it is this pant of the team that is at present most disordered. R. W. P. Brown '98 and T. Graydon '03 have assisted in coaching the backs, but have been unable to be present regularly. Head Coach J. Crane '90 was substitute on the University team when in College, and has always been actively engaged in athletics. Last year he was in charge of the drop kickers with Coach Reid and hence is thoroughly acquainted with the latter's system of coaching. Furthermore, he has the entire confidence of every member of the squad.

Training Table at Memorial.

The training table for the team will begin in Memorial Hall today. It will continue there for about three weeks, after which time it may be transferred to the Union. This is a the first time that a University training table has been established at Memorial. The change is intended to bring the men into closer touch with the University. The price of board will also be considerably lower than at the Union and the presence of the University team will do much towards the prosperity of the Hall.

The following men will be taken to the table: Apollonio, Burr, Brock, Gilbert, Hoar, Inches, Kennard, Lockwood, Macdonald, Mason, Newhall, Parker, W. Peirce, Robinson, Starr, Donovan, Dutcher, Eggleston