THE BOOK-AGENT PEST.

One of the evils with which we all have to contend is the book-agent pest. Despite the numerous notices to the effect that the presence of these men is not desired, their calls have lately become as regular as the delivery of the college mail. Besides this, the books are generally listed at extremely high prices, which is obviously necessary in order to pay a large commission to the agent; and, moreover, students are regularly prevailed upon to buy books for which they have no particular need. This is especially true of Freshmen before the glamour of their new surroundings has worn off. Doubtless this shortsighted policy of patronizing these agents has come about from the convenience of paying only $3 per month or some similar arrangement. With the facilities now afforded by the University Library there is no great necessity of buying many books unless the purchaser has discrimination and intends to start a permanent collection. In case anyone intends to buy a large number of books, and does not object to the payment of a bonus to agents, he should nevertheless remember that he can by a little effort secure his books to better advantage at legitimate stores, and that his ill-advised purchases will have their effect, not upon him, but upon the multitude of non-investors who are besieged by an army of more or less incapacitated persons passing as agents. Indifferent attention to their tales of woe will not rid us of these afflictions. Only a boycott, which is legal and justifiable, will restore the dormitories to comparative peace.