THE FOOTBALL BLACKLIST.

Once more we are confronted by the question whether the Athletic Association is or is not going to carry out its tacit threat to hold up to contempt the Harvard men guilty of speculation in football tickets. Year after year it it has been rumored, but not openly stated, that the blacklist was to be published. Just as regularly have the guilty persons escaped public discountenance, and just as regularly has the blacklist continued to grow, despite the fact that the men on this list have been deprived of the privilege to apply for tickets in the future.

The list for this year--and its size is very considerable--has now been prepared and all the suspects have been notified that their excuses will be heard. So far nothing more has been done than in previous years, and time has shown the remedy ineffective.

If the authorities are really in earnest and mean that speculation shall stop, the blacklist must be published. A vast amount of effort was expended this year in detecting speculation, and if it is not to be wasted, the results must be made known. The moral effect of merely depriving a man of his privileges is no longer sufficient. The only way in which those who contemplate using privileges for personal gain can be brought to their senses is by publicly disgracing those already caught.

Of course the usual arguments will be brought forward by those accused. Tickets were given to friends, employees, or whom you please, and the latter proved untrustworthy. We would suggest that men offering these excuses be made to produce the persons to whom tickets were given. The latter should then be made to show some adequate reason for having received the tickets from the accused. The names of men unable to snow such proof, or unable to produce corroborating witnesses, should be immediately published. Those thus shown to be guilty of carelessness, but not malicious speculation, should receive a milder punishment say suspension of privileges for a period of two years.

The sooner the Athletic Committee realizes the necessity for some such scheme as this, or at any event for publicity at all costs, the better for all concerned.