YALE BASKETBALL GAME

In Mechanics Hall Tonight at 8.--Teams Evenly Matched.

The University basketball team will play the first of its two annual games with Yale, at 8 o'clock this evening in Mechanics Hall, Boston. Tickets at $1 each for the floor and the first three rows of the balcony, and at 75 cents for other balcony seats, may be obtained until 5 o'clock this afternoon at the Co-operative, Amee's, Brine's, Leavitt & Peirce's, the Rendezvous, the H. A. A. office, and Wright & Ditson's, Boston. Tickets for the Yale cheering section may be obtained from the secretary of the Yale Club, Boston. After 7 o'clock tickets will be on sale at the door. Admission will be 50 cents.

From 6.47 to 7.47 o'clock this evening, Huron avenue cars for the Subway will be run by way of Huntington avenue to accommodate people wishing to attend the game.

The progress of the University team this year has been far from encouraging. Of the six games played three have been won and three lost. The first game with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was won by the score of 22 to 20, only after two extra periods had been played. The two following games were lost to Wesleyan and Holy Cross by the scores of 31 to 6 and 20 to 16 respectively. The team then won from Princeton in a poorly played game, by the score of 16 to 13 and defeated Tufts, 20 to 11, but lost to Brown last Friday by the score of 15 to 10.

Yale has had a much longer season and during the Christmas recess took a trip through the South and Middle West, where seven of the twelve games played were won. As the Yale team is heavier and experienced, and the University team is light and fast, a hard, interesting game may be expected.

Since the Brown game last Friday, the University team has been practicing at Mechanics Hall in order to become familiar with the floor. The team has been considerably handicapped this season by injuries and by the loss of E. L. Burnham '07 who was obliged to resign the position of coach on account of business which called him to the West. H. V. Amberg 1L., centre on last year's team, has taken charge of the work in his place.

As a whole the defense of the team has been stronger than the offense, though both have been rather erratic. Captain Brooks, at right guard, the position he has occupied for the past two seasons, plays a hard game, recovers the ball well, and keeps it in the opponent's territory most of the time. Browne, who will play left guard if Fish goes in at centre, covers his man closely and is clover at scoring from his position. Fish, who will probably, start the game at centre, is still somewhat crude in his handling of the ball but covers closely and shows good head-work. His height and weight often give him a considerable advantage over his opponent, but in Van Vleck, the Yale centre, he will have an exceptionally fast man to contend with. The forwards, Allen and Currie, are rather light, but their speed and agility more than offset their lack of weight. Currie is the steadier player and is the best foul-shooter on the team; Allen is erratic, although his work is often very brilliant.

Beginning at 6.45 o'clock, the First Corps Cadets' Band will give a concert until the game between the Harvard and Yale Freshmen, which will begin promptly at 7.45 o'clock. W. McGrail of Dartmouth will referee the University game.

The teams will line up as follows:HARVARD.  YALE.Currie, l.f.  r.f., WrenAllen, r.f.  l.f., CliffordFish, Browne, c.  c., Van VleckBrowne, S. Brown, l.g.  r.g., MurphyBrooks, r.g.  l.g., Noye