NEW INDOOR SKATING RINK

Immense Auditorium to be Erected Very Shortly in the Fenway, Boston.

The handicap which the hockey team has experienced this year, because of lack of ice will be obviated next year by the construction of a new skating rink, which is to be one of the largest in the world. The new rink will have a skating surface of 25,000 square feet, nearly double that of the St. Nicholas rink in New York. The building, which is to be known as the Fenway Garden, will be located in the Fenway near the Park Riding School, at the corner of Brookline avenue and Butler street, and will be built and ready for occupancy by November 1, 1908. The plant when completed will combine an artificial ice-making plant, and skating, hockey, and curling rinks.

According to the plans drawn by Freeman, Funk & Willcox, the building will be 400 feet long by 170 feet wide, with a roof 90 feet high, and a tower over the entrance 150 feet high. The material of construction will be concrete reinforced by steel trusses and faced with terra cotta. The auditorium will have a permanent seating capacity of 5000, with the seats arranged in the arena pit form, and the ice surface about 6 feet below the level of the main lobby. Access to the ice will be afforded by four large passageways leading from a wide promenade in the rear of the seats. When hockey is being played these entrances will be closed, and a passageway leading directly from the locker rooms to the level of the ice will be opened. The skating season will extend from November to April, after which a sectional floor will be laid in preparation for 29 weeks of shows and exhibitions.