BOWDOIN DEFEATED, 5 TO 0

First Game of Season a Well-Earned Victory.--Team Shows Promise.

The University football team defeated Bowdoin yesterday afternoon in the first game of the season by the score of 5 to 0, the same as made last year. Not-with-standing the low score, the ball was in Bowdoin's territory the greater part of the game, and twice the University team should have scored. Harvard had the advantage throughout the game and outplayed their opponents, particularly in the first half.

The backfield was made up entirely of new men, who, as might have been expected, were uncertain and did not display much team work, although they played hard and ran fairly well. The plays were all simple with the exception of two forward passes, and the lack of variety did not give them a chance to show their real ability. The defense used during yesterday's game, four men in the line and the ends playing out, was moderately successful, but was hardly given a fair trial.

Browne at quarterback did good work and handled the ball well, especially on the forward passes. Cutler, who took his place in the last half, ran the team in good shape and helped the runners. Smith at halfback, although slow and uncertain, was a good ground gainer and kept his feet. White and Sprague both showed up well in the second half, particularly the latter, whose punt over the heads of the Bowdoin backs was a feature of the game.

The line, with the exception of Burr, all played too high and did little charging. Forchheimer put up an aggressive game at tackle and covered his position well. Crowley, at end, handled the forward passes very satisfactorily and was in every play.

F. Smith kicked off to Browne, who ran the ball back to the 15-yard line. In the first play Bowdoin was offside and was penalized five yards. Graydon went around left end for nine yards, and Burr punted to Bowdoin on the 40-yard line. King gained six yards through right guard and Gastonquay tried the centre for no gain. Bowdoin lost the ball by a fumble and Graydon and Smith both failed to gain at right tackle. Harvard was penalized ten yards for holding and Burr punted to Bowdoin on their 35-yard line. F. Smith made three yards through right tackle and King gained two more through centre. Wilson punted to Graydon on the 45-yard line, who ran it back seven yards, and Smith was put through left tackle for another eight yards. Kennard made a couple of yards at centre and Graydon went around right end for two more. Kennard gained another four yards through right tackle. Browne then made a beautiful forward pass to Crowley, who went around right end for twenty-four yards. Graydon and Smith made another ten yards and it was first down with the goal to gain. Smith went through left guard for four yards, but his team was penalized fifteen yards for holding. Browne tried a forward pass to Crowley, who however, caught it after he had crossed Bowdoin's goal line and Newman kicked out from the 20-yard line to McKay, who ran the ball back eleven yards to the 45-yard line. Harvard fumbled and Bowdoin regained the ball and sent F. Smith around right end for eleven yards. Gastonquay tried left tackle for small gains, and Newman punted to Graydon who ran the ball back to Bowdoin's 47-yard line. Crowley fumbled a forward pass and Bowdoin got the ball and punted back to Graydon, who fumbled the catch, and the ball went to Bowdoin just before time was called.

When the second half opened, Cutler had been substituted for Browne at quarterback. Burr kicked off over the goal line, and Newman kicked out from the 20-yard line to Graydon on the 45-yard line. Smith went through left guard on a fake kick to the 25-yard line and Harvard made six yards more by bucking. Newman was put out of the game for rough work, Jackson taking his place, and Harvard was given one half the distance to the goal line. Smith went over the line in two plays for the only touchdown. McKay failed to kick the goal.

A whole new backfield was then put in, White being substituted for Smith, Sprague for Graydon, Vogel for Kennard, while Philippbar went in Burr's place at left guard. Bowdoin kicked off to Vogel, who juggled the ball and Bowdoin got it on Harvard's 25-yard line. After two line plays Bowdoin made a goal from placement but was put back ten yards for holding; here the ball was fumbled and regained on the 53-yard line. Bowdoin now tried a forward pass which failed and the ball went to Harvard at the middle of the field. Harvard held and was penalized fifteen yards. White made six yards through right tackle and Sprague punted to Wilson, who ran the ball back a few yards where he was downed by Forchheimer. Ver Wiebe took the latter's place at right tackle. Bowdoin punted to Cutler, who was downed on the 40-yard line. Sprague and Vogel were making good gains through the line when time was called.

The line-up was as follows:

HARVARD.  BOWDOIN.Harding, l.e.  r.e., HinchMcKay, l.t.  r.t., CrosbyBurr, Philippbar, l.g.  r.g., BurnsNourse, c.  c., McCadeHoar, r.g.  l.g., HinckleyForchheimer, Ver Wiebe, r.t.  l.t., Newman, TimberlakeCrowley, Manley, r.e.  l.e., WandtkeBrowne, Cutler, q.b.  q.b., WilsonSmith, White, l.h.b.  r.h.b., KingGraydon, Sprague, r.h.b.  l.h.b., F. SmithKennard, Vogel, f.b.  f.b., Gastonqua