FRESHMAN RECEPTION PLANS.

The Freshman Reception Committee for this year is about to undertake their task of extending courtesy and cordiality from the Senior class to the Freshmen in a way different from former years. Instead of the regulation Freshman "beer nights" at which from ten to twenty new students were invited by one of the committee to meet a few upper classmen in his room, it is proposed to have each number of the present committee call on a small number of Freshmen in their rooms and to make their acquaintance as well as possible by a short call. After which, the Senior is expected to invite several of the men to whom he has been assigned to his room where they will be given opportunity to meet each other and a few of their guest's friends. This will probably be carried still further and the upper classmen will combine in groups of two or three to have their respective Freshmen meet together in one of their rooms.

On paper, at least, this scheme has good possibilities. It should serve the purpose of putting the Senior in closer touch with his small group of men than was possible before, and furthermore, it can be made of the same assistance in acquainting the Freshmen with one another. At first glance, the new arrangement seems to require considerably more interest in the Freshman on the part of the Senior than is usually manifested. In operation, it is not expected that it will require more than a small sacrifice of time. The committee is somewhat smaller than formerly on the theory that a careful selection of the men will be rewarded by a keener responsibility to carry it through successfully.

At least one benefit to be derived from the present plan is the abolition of the phrase "Freshman beer night." To the uninitiated and innocent outsider, there words are assumed to mean monstrous things and the use of the words together to the imaginative mind denotes all manner of treacherous pitfalls and what not for the innocent Freshmen. To those who have experienced the peacefulness of these affairs, such conjectures are highly humorous; still, it is a good thing to have the phrase dropped from our colloquial vocabulary.

The plan as a whole sounds feasible and should succeed if the committee accept their small responsibility with eagerness to carry it out. Eventually, it might well develop into a system of Senior Advisers for Freshmen, similar in a way to the Faculty Advisers and designed to supplement their efforts. It is at any rate well worth trial.