DEFENSE WEAK IN SCRIMMAGE

First Team Scored On Three Times.--Improvement in Offensive Work.

In a twenty-five minute scrimmage yesterday afternoon the University team was scored on three times by the second. The defensive work was extremely poor. The second team was given the ball on the 30-yard line, and again twice on the 5-yard line, and succeeded in breaking through the first team's line each time for touchdowns. Great improvement was shown, however, on the offensive, the University team scoring twice. The playing was full of snap, partly due to the cold weather, and the plays went off quickly. To practice tis afternoon will be entirely secret.

The preliminary practice consisted of tackling drill, starting and breaking through work for the line men. Kennard did some punting. Burr was not in the play yesterday on account of a bad cold. In the second scrimmage between the substitutes and the second team, the former scored and held the second team well. Galatti got off some good forward passes to Harding, and Long, Minot and Pope did good work for the second team. Smith and Forchheimer were both injured in the scrimmage.

Cate kicked to Corbett, who ran the ball back ten yards from the 10-yard line, where he fumbled and the ball went to the second team. Cate's forward pass went to White on the 25-yard line. Cutler punted outside in the middle of the field. A quarterback run failed to make any distance for the second, and Gilbert's forward pass failed. Gilbert punted from the 45-yard line to Smith, and Corbett went through right tackle for twelve yards. Cutler punted to Cate on the second team's 10-yard line. Gilbert returned the ball to Cutler, and Fish obtained the ball in the next play when a forward pass was broken up. White made fourteen yards on two line plunges, and Crowley ran out a forward pass to the 7-yard line. The second team got the ball on a fumble, but Fish blocked a punt behind the goal line, and White fell on the ball for a touchdown.

McKay kicked off over the goal line to the second team, and Gilbert punted out to Leslie. Cutler then made a good forward pass to Fish on the 45-yard line, the latter taking it to the 8-yard line by good running. White made two yards at centre, and Cutler's forward pass to Crowley made the second score.

The teams lined up in the scrimmage as follows: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Crowley, Harding, l.e.  r.e., Manley, O'Flaherty McKay, Withington, l.t.  r.t., Oveson, Bush McGuire, l.g.  r.g., Philippbar Nourse, Hadden, c.  c., Dore, Grant Hoar, Robinson, r.g.  l.g., Blodgett, Easterbrook Fish, Ver Wiebe, r.t.  l.t., Beaman, Matters Browne, Cutting, r.e.  l.e., Long, Rogers Cutler, Galatti, q.b.  q.b., Cate, Crocker White, Vogel, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Pope, Marvin Corbett, Leslie, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Gilbert, Perkins Smith, Forchheimer, Gray, f.b.  f.b., Burrage, Minot