THE NEW TRACK COACH.

The track meet this afternoon closes the first period of training that has been conducted by the new track coach. Mr. Donovan comes to an important position and one with varied duties and responsibilities. First of all he has to superintend the physical development of the large number of men who take their daily exercise in running. This is no small task in itself. Moreover he has to build up a team to represent the University, each of whom must be at his best at a specified time. For the success of this team he has to plan a careful campaign. In such work, persistence, patience, and sympathy are needed; they are needed not by the trainer alone, but by those under his change as well. In this respect the year has been well begun. There are a few athletes of proved excellence remaining from last year's team, and if they and the other candidates continue as they have begun, the possibility of a track victory will be well within reach.

In coming to the position of track coach, Mr. Donovan succeeds Mr. Lathrop, who gave up his position last year. Mr. Lathrop's association with Harvard track athletics dates back to 1881, and since that year, with a short interval, he has trained the teams. In that long period of service, Harvard won eleven intercollegiate meets, establishing the unique record, back in the eighties, of winning the championship at the old Mott Haven games for six years in succession. Since the dual meets with Yale were established in the early nineties, seven victories were won under Mr. Lathrop's direction. To renew such a record of successes of former years is possible and this task is now placed in Mr. Donovan's hands.