Semi-Finals Completed in Singles

The semi-final round of singles in the University tennis tournament was completed yesterday afternoon, when E. P. Pearson 1L. defeated C. S. Cutting '12 in a close match, which went into three sets, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4. The first set was easy for Pearson, and Cutting was never behind in the second. The third set was hotly contested, however.

Cutting was not especially steady, but made some fine returns. His lobs were generally ineffective as Pearson returned well. Cutting excelled on backhand strokes, while Pearson was far steadier on his forehand. Both men played in streaks, and both used a high bouncing serve, which Cutting received in the back of the court, while Pearson preferred to play up and take the ball on the top of the bound. Pearson won his games by driving the ball low at the net to Cutting's feet, making it almost impossible for the latter to return.

This afternoon N. W. Niles '09 and E. T. Dana '09 will play A. S. Dabney '09 and G. P. Gardiner, Jr., '10 in the finals of the doubles. They will play on Jarvis Field at 2 o'clock. The final round of the singles will be played tomorrow between N. W. Niles '09 and E. L. Pearson 1L.