A TRADITION DISCARDED.

If all the reports are authentic, last night further established the fact that Bloody Monday is a thing of the past. Since the class of 1907 formally abolished what little remained of the rush, there has been less to contend with each year until last night there was practically no disturbance. It appeared as though the hoodlums had anticipated a quiet evening and stayed in their regular haunts, so that the worst feature of former occasions was absent. Though it seemed at first an ill-advised arrangement to hold the official reception for Freshmen on that particular night, nothing came of it, and the crowd dispersed unmolested on leaving the Union.

It is a custom well rid of and marks the passing of another of certain few objectionable traditions which we inherited from the days when Harvard was a College, but which today, as a University built on broad and free lines, we have long since outgrown. Such things have their place in various undergraduate communities where the college as a wholly unique social species is uppermost in the minds of all, and where the atmosphere is best described by the very word "college." We congratulate the University and as undergraduates congratulate ourselves that this pernicious institution has been permanently laid on the shelf.