FIRST ELEVEN SCORED ONCE

Strong Defensive Work in Fast Scrimmage Against Second.

In yesterday afternoon's scrimmage between the first and second elevens, the first scored a touchdown after six minutes of play. The line of the first team played an aggressive game and showed lots of life. Their defensive work was good; the second team backs frequently did not reach the line and forward passes were blocked time after time. Fish was back in the line, and Withington took McKay's place at left tackle. Corbett made good gains and did some clever running; and Smith played a fairly consistent game. The whole team displayed more team play and got more snap into the work.

The preliminary practice was short. Gray and Gilbert punted to the backs and the ends were given practice running down on the kicks. Sprague was out, but did not try any kicking.

Perkins kicked off for the second team to Fish who ran the ball back to the 30-yard line. Corbett gained eleven yards on two line plays, and Burr punted to Johnson who fumbled and R. Brown recovered the ball for the first on the second's 38-yard line. Corbett made six yards through left tackle, and after the second eleven had been penalized five yards for interference, he gained seven yards more. Smith netted nine yards on two centre plays, and carried the ball over from the 3-yard line for a touchdown. Burr kicked the goal.

Burr then kicked off to Johnson, who ran the ball back to the 30-yard line, but the first team was given the ball immediately afterwards on the second's 42-yard line. Corbett went through the line for ten yards, but after a couple of line plays, Cutler tried a forward pass to Cutting which failed, and the second team got the ball again. The second tried a fake kick but failed to gain and a bad pass from Perkins rolled over the goal line where R. Page fell on it for a touchback. The line-up for the scrimmage follows: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. R. Brown, l.e.  r.e., Cooper Withington, l.t.  r.t., Coburn Burr, West, l.g.  r.g., Blodgett Nourse, Hadden, c.  c., Perkins Hoar, Dunlap, r.g.  l.g., Blaine Fish, Forchheimer, r.t.  l.t., Oveson Harding, Cutting, r.e.  l.e., Garrett Cutler, q.b.  q.b., Johnson Smith, White, l.h.b.  r.h.b., W. Page, Gregory Corbett, Leslie, r.h.b.  l.h.b., R. Page Kennard, Gray, f.b.  f.b., Minot, Wellman