THE FACULTY RECEPTION

Attended by Old and New Students.--President Eliot's Address.

Upper-classmen and Freshmen in about equal numbers filled the Living Room of the Union last evening at the annual Faculty reception to new students. Dean L. B. R. Briggs '75 presided and the speakers in order were Professor A. L. Lowell '77, Professor G. H. Palmer '64, L. K. Lunt '09, and President Eliot.

Professor Lowell, speaking on the benefits of college life, deprecated the tendency away from competition which would put all the effort of college undertakings on a dead level. In athletics or in study one cannot cultivate himself up to his greatest efficiency without measuring himself against the next man.

Professor Palmer, the second speaker, devoted himself to the subject of college chapel. Its value is three-fold: it cultivates the habit of punctuality by giving definiteness to the first hours of the day; it is an intellectual stimulus; it provides a religious stimulus. L. K. Lunt speaking for the undergraduates, urged appreciation of the opportunities offered here and warned against hasty judgments or harsh censure.

President Eliot, in opening his address, spoke of the appreciation of Harvard as a sentiment that grows with each year after graduation. The graduates of 25 years have been showing their appreciation in late years by gifts of $100,000 as they celebrate their anniversaries; sure evidence of loyalty, of anything but "indifference."

Competition, as the essential part of opportunity, is in direct opposition to the ideas of monopoly that have been dominating industrial and labor organizations. Harvard offers a competition in intellectual labor, beginning with the entrance examinations which distinguish Harvard almost alone among American institutions. From entrance examinations to graduation and then on in business life extends a series of competitions, for the world at large has not yet accepted the elimination of competition. Men come here to acquire the mental power, mental alertness, the perspicacity that is essential for success.

The first essential for successful competition is a sound body, and the great danger that threatens it is the abundance of vicious temptation to which men of Harvard, as of every other college, are exposed. It is the most serious danger in that it may defeat the whole object of life; through it comes the only absolute ruin that can come to educated men. Work is the great safe-guard against evil thoughts and evil passions, and occupation in hard work, hard play, or the moderate enjoyment of all innocent pleasures is the best way of crowding out vice.

Long experience with college men has taught that the thing best worth while in college is the learning how to do hard, concentrated work. An opportunity of experimenting and finding in what field effort is most wisely applied is one of the great opportunities offered here. The privileges of the elective system should be used by every student to the utmost, that in life there may be no misapplication of energy through failure to learn how one can best serve oneself and mankind.